Vector File Formats
Which type should I order?
Ignition Drawing offers several types of vector file formats. Sometimes, you may not know which file format to choose. It's important to understand that not all of these vector file formats are compatible with all types of software. So, the file formats you choose to use are dependent on what type of software you are using.
If you do not have Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW, then PDF may be the right format for you, as PDF files can be viewed easily on any computer.
Of the 5 types of file formats we review below, these top two are software-dependent, while the next three can be opened by multiple applications:
- AI (Adobe Illustrator) and CDR (CorelDRAW) files are most ideal for their own software and are not always compatible with each other.
- EPS, SVG, and PDF formats are vector files that can be opened in both Corel and Adobe programs.
Here are some specifics about each file format:
Adobe Illustrator (AI)
- The AI file extension represents an Adobe Illustrator Artwork file. This is a proprietary format developed by Adobe Systems for representing vector-based drawings in either EPS or PDF formats. Vector programs such as Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape can open AI files.
- Vector graphic files that are saved with the CDR extension are also called CorelDRAW image files.
- CDR files are designated for use with CorelDRAW products, as well as other Corel applications.
Encapsulated Post Script (EPS)
- EPS is a good format choice for high-resolution or large-scale printing.
- Professional printers will often request your design files to be sent in the EPS format because it's a more universal format for their software.
Portable Document Format (PDF)
- PDF files can be easily viewed on most computers even without an artwork program.
- This is a universal file format that retains its vector information and can be opened up by programs such as Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW.
Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)
- SVG ia an XML-based file format that allows you to display vector images on your website.